Saturday, October 27, 2012

Shel Silverstein


There's very little I remember about my time with my biological family. After all, it effectively ended when I was 6 and a half. I do remember an entire wall of bookshelves from the second house I lived in with them. The very first poetry I can remember being introduced to came from Shel Silverstein's collection. I believe those two books belonged to my mother, they were

A Light in the Attic
Where the Sidewalk Ends

My favorite was the one about the person being eaten by a boa constrictor. My second favorite was Hug O War.

As a college student studying to be a teacher, I was given The Missing Piece. I remember hearing about The Giving Tree, and seeing it somewhere. I know I've heard about Falling Up, and I think I've read it.

Honestly, I would say that Shel Silverstein is one of those must-haves for any parent of youngish children. By that, I mean 6-10. Those poems are great for a read-aloud, and it's important to read to your children. (I know, I've never had a child, but I was studying to be a teacher! Of course I had to learn what's important for a child's mind.) The stories and the poems of this author are awesome for opening minds and sparking imagination. What parent wouldn't want to give those two things to their children?

(Also, I'd love to buy the collection of books for myself... x.x)


No comments:

Post a Comment