Sunday, April 14, 2013

Adventures with Windows 8


So, I got an all-in-one for camming. The reasoning is that an all in one is almost as light as a laptop but is easier to get in the standards that camming requires. The horror is that the all-in-one uses Windows 8. OMFG this os is terrible!

First of all, they put the start menu into a whole new screen. I use the start menu a lot in normal computers. I put a ton of icons on it to keep them from cluttering up my desktop. I usually put accessories like paint, notepad, snipping tool, command prompt, and calculator up there. I also put the dick cleanup utility and the defragmenter up there for easy access. Lasly, I put document stuff like Libre Office Writer and Calc (the open source version of Word and Excel) up there, and use the "10 most recent items" jumplist to access the stuff I work on a lot in there. Then my start bar has the camera stuff and web browsers, leaving a few icons on my desktop like my computer, the main user folder, and any games I have installed. I also make the games menu a drop-down on my start bar for easy access to Minesweeper and soliatre, which I like to play while listening to youtube v-logs.

So now, instead of having a nice neat desktop, everything that usually goes on my start menu has been turned into an icon on my desktop, because I kinda need to access them without going away from the desktop screen if I happen to be camming at the time. Or watching youtube videos. Or writing... But it wasn't an easy task, getting them there. First, I had to add them to the start screen, then I had to right-click the start-screen icon and say "show in folder" or something like that. This took me to file explorer on the desktop, which works exactly like the normal file explorer on every other windows. Meaning, I right clicked and chose "send to desktop (create a shortcut)". Double checking proved that it did not create a shortcut to the shortcut cause numerous reroutes, it actually pointed to the same file the original shortcut pointed to. That's solved.

But my games, my beloved solitare, spider solitare, freecell, and minesweeper, are no longer available for the desktop screen. instead, they go to this horrible fullscreen version which doesn't let me do anything else without pausing the game, jumping to other screens, and coming back. (I will note, I have not tried alt-tab yet, but I doubt it will work.)

This is the most awkward thing I have ever tried to use. I just... ugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment