Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pomegranate

So, we bought some fresh pomegranate. He likes the juice and we both like the dried chocolate-covered ones, so we thought we'd try it fresh.

Today I finally got around to looking up how to do this. That's imperative with any new fruit- find out what part you eat and what part you don't, and if it's complicated to get to teh part you eat, how to do that as well. This one is complicated.

You don't eat the pomegranate itself. you eat the seeds, and the fleshy bit that surrounds the seeds. Imaging a grape. Make it smaller, about a quarter the size. Now turn the vine inside out and make it thicker. That's what a pomegranate is like (as far as how it's put together, that is).

I followed the directions here: http://localfoods.about.com/od/pomegranates/ss/How-To-Eat-A-Pomegranate.htm

It took me about an hour to separate out the seeds. An hour! The juice from them got everywhere, including on me (luckily I was naked as I did this). But they are good. I don't like the juice, and the chocolates, while okay, leave a strange aftertaste in my mouth. The seeds have a bit of nuttiness to add to the flavor of the flesh (which is what I can taste in the juice and the chocolates). That, to me, makes all the difference. Plus the fact that it's a smaller dose.

All in all, I would recommend that anyone who likes berries try it at least once. But bring some friends! I ended up with about a cup and a quarter of seeds. That's a full cereal bull to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment