Friday, October 28, 2011

Homemakers and Breadwinners

A long time ago, some women wanted to have the option of being the breadwinner. And other women wanted to have the right to vote and express their opinions. They wanted to be treated like people, instead of things.

Those women got their wish, but at a terrible price. See, our society thinks "equality" means "same for everyone". It doesn't. It means "Same opportunity for everyone". There's a difference. The difference is between having a choice between being a breadwinner or homemaker, and being forced into the homemaker role.

Point: by nature, I am a homemaker. I will never be happy in the breadwinner role. I do not think every woman needs to be a homemaker, some need to be breadwinners. I do not think every man needs to be a breadwinner, some would prefer being the homemaker. The important thing is that in today's society, it's practically impossible to have a household on 1 income, so instead of homemakers and breadwinners pairing off and being happy, you have homemakers being forced into the breadwinner role.

Point: I suck at being a homemaker. My adoptive parents were overprotective, and had the impression that everything I touched broke. Most of that was because of a bit of clumsiness and a complete lack of experience. Experience took care of the clumsiness, and I no longer break anything I touch, but there's a lot I don't know how to do, because since I graduated from college, I've been too busy breadwinning to practice homemaking.

Point: Homemakers are afraid. Too many people have gotten a twisted notion that being a homemaker = submissive = masochist, and being a breadwinner = dominant = sadist. Breadwinners abuse the fact that homemakers can't really earn their bread by making money, and so are kinda trapped. Their only way out is to attach themselves to a new breadwinner, which of course, is cheating.

Here's the problem- some homemakers are dominant. Some breadwinners are submissive. And not all submissives like to be hurt. Some of them just want someone else to make decisions. But they still want to be themselves. They still want to be cared for, and shown love. Everyone wants to be shown love. That's why good dominants know to do aftercare.

I am a homemaker, not a breadwinner, by nature. But I'm being forced to be a breadwinner, and probably will have to be until I get old. They say find a job you love and everything will be fine. But the minute I have to do it for money, I stop loving it. No matter how fun it was at first, it stops being fun when I have to focus on the damn money.

I don't like making decisions that might affect other people's lives. But I want to be in charge of the decisions that affect my life. And minor decisions that have no effect, I really don't care to make.

I don't like being in charge. That is to say, I don't like being in charge of money or people. Which is the only "in charge" that any corporation cares about. I like being in charge of dishes, and cleaning, and trash, and cooking. But only when I can focus on that stuff and not have to work for money. I like serving other people, but again, not when I have to do it for a living, and definitely not when I can't choose who I'm serving and who I'm not.

I also like being in charge of myself. I hate other people telling me what to do, even if I like doing things for them. I hate the idea of anyone else changing how I act or think or feel. I hate the idea of anyone else having complete control over me. But I want someone else to be in control over finances, in control over things that affect other people, and in general control. In short, I want to be a 60's housewife. Quite literally, actually- since in the 60's it was acceptable for women to have an opinion, or a side-job. It was acceptable for women to wear whatever the hell they wanted- pants or skirts. But most wore pants. Most women knew how to garden. I would love to learn how to garden. Turn this black thumb green please!

No comments:

Post a Comment