Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Privilege Check


-I was born into a middle class family (race doesn't enter into it, socio-economic class is the deciding factor on this one. Just so happens that black people are more likely to be born into poor families.). Therefore, I'm less likely to end up in prison, more likely to graduate from college.

-I was in foster care. Therefore, I'm more likely to end up in prison, less likely to graduate from college. Though I already graduated from college and don't look to become desperate enough to end up in prison any time soon, so we can say that being middle class was a more deciding factor than broken homes.

-I am female. Therefore, I am less likely to be interested in technical things, though I happen to be. There are plenty of programs and scholarships to help me if I do decide to go into a STEM field. This also means that there is no program I can't enter, nothing I can't try to do, and no place I can't go in to. Unlike men.

-I am female. This means that I have access to the following birth control methods:
*depo-provera shot
*a bunch of different types of monthly pill cycles
*a three-month pill cycle
*a ring to insert into my vagina, which I change once a month
*a device inserted into my vagina which must be monitored yearly and changed either every 5 years or every 7-12 years (IUD)
*keeping track of my fertility by being very very diligent and careful
*"plan b" morning after pill
*various natural concoctions which can induce a period to act like a morning after pill
*a device which fits over the cervix to the vagina to keep the sperm out of the womb (diaphragm for long-term, or a female condom for short term)
*having tubes tied or snipped for a permanent solution
*a gel which is sprayed into my vagina and acts to kill and slow sperm

I also have access to the following methods if none of the above work
*abortion
*adoption
*abandon at a safe place (church, monastery, police station)

I am allowed to use any combination of the above methods without consulting the potential father, or even informing him that I am pregnant. I also have the option of not telling him I'm pregnant, having the child, and then naming any man I want as the father to get his money.

As a woman, I am more likely to be hired for a job than a man is because of affirmative action. As a woman, I am more likely to be accepted to anything I apply for, because of government programs. So, I think I'll count female as being privileged.

Check my privilege:

white- propaganda says "privileged", I say "irrelevant"
middle class family- propaganda says "privileged", I say "privileged"
foster care- propaganda says "disadvantaged", I say "irrelevant"
female- propaganda says "disadvantaged", I say "privileged"
cis-gendered (or close enough)- propaganda says "privileged", I say "privileged"
christian upbringing- propaganda says "privileged", I say "irrelevant"
non-mainstream beliefs- propaganda says "disadvantaged", I say "irrelevant"


No comments:

Post a Comment